Monitoring Splunk

High CPU on my Splunk BOX

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

How can i see what Splunk is doing when the CPU goes to ~90% for 30 minutes on my Splunk box and stays there.
I have one search head and one indexer all on the same box.

How can i tell what is going on, is it too much data coming in or too many data models etc...?
Or do i just need to restart etc..

The splunk screens are going very slow - we have about 36 jobs running in parallel.

Thanks in advance for any help
Rob 🙂

alt text
alt text

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Mayurmpatil
Path Finder

Go to monitoring console and Run the health check script. it will show you what is the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jessec_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi, Rob,

In the top output you showed, you can type c to show detailed command parameters. From the commands details you should be able to tell exactly what's running, e.g., ad-hoc searches, scheduled searches, with their associated search IDs. With the search IDs, you can go into $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/dispatch directory to see what they actually are.

In addition, you mentioned 36 concurrent jobs running; it sounds like your concurrency is higher than your available CPU cores. When you have more parallel jobs than available CPU cores, jobs wait, and everything slows down (including Splunk Web UI).

On a positive note, you managed to max out your BOX, so all you need to do is to reduce your load to, say, 80% CPU, and you are good to go. Time to think about adding another box no matter what 🙂

~Jesse

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi

Thanks for you comments i will look into a new box

Rob

0 Karma

Mayurmpatil
Path Finder

Go to monitoring console and Run the health check script. it will show you what is the issue.

0 Karma

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Thanks - we solved it with a reboot - but next time i will check

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...