Monitoring Splunk

Database query into summary index counts as licensing usage ?

ruiaires
Path Finder

Using DB_Connect with dbquery command, if the search results are stored in a summary index, will this count towards the license usage ?

From the documentation, it seems that If summary commands are used (sitop, sirare, sistats, sichart, sitimechart and collect) and the sourcetype is not renamed (stash) it does not count for licensing.

1 Solution

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

No, it does not count towards license usage. If this becomes a problem, we may need to alter the app's license terms to tighten that up, though.

View solution in original post

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

No, it does not count towards license usage. If this becomes a problem, we may need to alter the app's license terms to tighten that up, though.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Good question. Summary indexing does not count against licensing, ie, mining data that has already been indexed and storing the results in a new index.

If the dbquery command collects data directly from a database, and the splunk summary stats search commands can search those results and populate an index, then you may have found a way around licensing. Hard to believe tho, the licensing code is pretty well baked in.
Have you tested it? It should be easy enough to test.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...