Monitoring Splunk

Best strategy to deal with / Fix Time zone (time_sych) issues between Splunk Servers & hosts scattered around the US?

SamHTexas
Builder

Best strategy to deal with / Fix Time zone (time_sych) issues between Splunk Servers & hosts scattered around the US?

How does one prepare a report of the Hosts having time zone differences & ways to fix the issues.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk converts timestamps into a common time zone when they are received and the converts them to the user's preferred time zone at display time.  If a timestamp is in the wrong zone then it probably was ingested incorrectly.

Ideally, the timestamp of an event will contain zone information.  Failing that, the forwarder which sent the event can use the TZ setting in props.conf to specify the correct time zone.

Tell us more about the use case and we may be able to offer other solutions.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

SamHTexas
Builder

To fix the TZ issue. Do I need to check the props.com on every host? So if the host is in a specific TZ & it is correctly set, then no worries. Due to 100s of hosts. So the TZ on a host is set correctly , there are worries right? I thought I could save time by not having to log into every available Host containing a Forwarder.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, to correct the TZ issue, the props.conf settings on each forwarder must be examined.  If you have hundreds of hosts then you really should be using a Splunk deployment server (DS).  The DS offers a single point for monitoring and managing forwarders.  It saves tons of time by not having to sign in to each host to work on the forwarder.

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Updating/Aboutdeploymentserver for more information about the DS.

I don't understand the question "So the TZ on a host is set correctly , there are worries right?".  There are two time zone settings - the one for the host and the one for Splunk Universal Forwarder.  We are concerned about the latter.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...