Knowledge Management

tag=usb

hendriks
Path Finder

So when searching tag=usb, I get an message telling me : "The term 'usb*:' contains a wildcard in the middle of a word or string. This might cause inconsistent results if the characters that the wildcard represents include punctuation", but i did not add the wildard there myself.

So anyone has any idea where this comes from. One of the things I could think of this comes from an add-on, somewhere.. 

While investigating this a little bit more I also see funky errors when searching tag=* for instance. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hendriks,

Check in [Settings -- Tag] if there's a tag with "*" inside.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

hendriks
Path Finder

Ah, thank you, no tags with "*" or any other wildcard inside.

I see there is eventtype=nix_usb that has 3 tags,  os, unix, usb, this eventtype comes from Splunk_TA_nix. 

So no luck there. 

When I search for tag=* I also get the message that tag=usb* has a wildcard. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hendriks,

see in File System in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/tags.conf and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/tags.conf: sometimes there's an error, you ahould also find the same error in Splunk start-up from console.

if you don't find it, try using the btool command:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool tag list --debug

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...