Knowledge Management

tag=usb

hendriks
Path Finder

So when searching tag=usb, I get an message telling me : "The term 'usb*:' contains a wildcard in the middle of a word or string. This might cause inconsistent results if the characters that the wildcard represents include punctuation", but i did not add the wildard there myself.

So anyone has any idea where this comes from. One of the things I could think of this comes from an add-on, somewhere.. 

While investigating this a little bit more I also see funky errors when searching tag=* for instance. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hendriks,

Check in [Settings -- Tag] if there's a tag with "*" inside.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

hendriks
Path Finder

Ah, thank you, no tags with "*" or any other wildcard inside.

I see there is eventtype=nix_usb that has 3 tags,  os, unix, usb, this eventtype comes from Splunk_TA_nix. 

So no luck there. 

When I search for tag=* I also get the message that tag=usb* has a wildcard. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hendriks,

see in File System in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/default/tags.conf and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/tags.conf: sometimes there's an error, you ahould also find the same error in Splunk start-up from console.

if you don't find it, try using the btool command:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool tag list --debug

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...