Knowledge Management

macro question - how to use the macro search results to another search?

crt89
Communicator

Good day fellow Splunkers,

I'm new to this macro in Splunk and I want to ask if this could be possible.

I have 3 monitored folders, I want to start my search to just get the latest source of this 3 folders. So I was thinking can I do a macro search to first filter my sources. 1 for each directory. So I will only have 3 sources to search for my search string.

The problem is I dont know how to configure the macro to pass the results of the macro search to a variable that I will be using for my search.

my sample macro would be:

host=host1 | stats latest(source) as host1_source_latest
(same for the other 2 directory)

then my search would be source=[the results of the macro] | [my search string]

This is what I'm planning to do, if there would be other approach it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use macros in subsearches as you normally would in non-sub-searches. For example, if you have this search

my search string [search host=host1 | head 1 | fields source]

where the subsearch will be evaluated to source=foo, you can replace the inner contents of the subsearch with a call to a macro. It could then look something like this:

my search string [`macro`]

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use macros in subsearches as you normally would in non-sub-searches. For example, if you have this search

my search string [search host=host1 | head 1 | fields source]

where the subsearch will be evaluated to source=foo, you can replace the inner contents of the subsearch with a call to a macro. It could then look something like this:

my search string [`macro`]

crt89
Communicator

edit: forgot to change query strings. solved now. Thanks again

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note, I have modified the subsearch - should be a much faster way to grab the latest source.

0 Karma

crt89
Communicator

I have tried it and it works. Thank its a nice start for me to make use of macros.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...