Knowledge Management

Why is splunk field not populated with value from a lookup file?

cbr654
Path Finder

(1)  index=blah  Product IN (Cuteftp,Filezilla)
(2)  | rex field=Image "(?<values_Image>[^\\\\]+$)"
(3)  | lookup test.csv Image as values_Image OUTPUT Image
(4)  | eval match=if(values_Image == Image, "yes", "no")
| table _time Product Company Description ImageLoaded Image values_Image match

(1) I am searching index=blah  where "Product" = Cuteftp or Filezilla

(2) From my results I am removing everything before the last backslash, and the new field  is going to be  called "values_Image" 

(3) I am checking the "Image" column  in the lookup file (test.csv) to see if it matches "values_Image" from my Splunk results

(4) If there is a match, then I see "yes" in the match column in Splunk. If there is no match I see a "no"

The problem I have:
When match =yes the Image field in Splunk  is populated with the value from the Image field in the lookup file (test.csv) . This is good

When match=no  the  Image field in Splunk is not populated with the value from the the Image field in the lookup file (test.csv) . This is my problem

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If there is no match in the lookup file then Splunk doesn't know what to return so it returns nothing (null).

What problem are you trying to solve?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you describe is normal.  If values_Image is not found in the lookup file then the Image field will be null.  Since values_Image=null is false, match is set to "no".

What value are you expecting to get from the lookup file?

---

cbr654
Path Finder

I have the lookup file populated with metadata in all the fields.  When "values_Image" is not found in the lookup I was hoping to see the entry I have in "Images" in the lookup file even though it does not match. My goals was to view the mis-match when match is set to "no"  Is this possible? Thanks you 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If there is no match in the lookup file then Splunk doesn't know what to return so it returns nothing (null).

What problem are you trying to solve?

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...