Knowledge Management

What is the best way to assign multiple eventtypes to a field from a comma-separated list?

arkadyz1
Builder

Our input data has a field named conditions, which is comma-separated list. We wanted to assign eventtypes to the events according to the list inside. For example, conditions="WeightOK,TooBig" would result in the event having two eventtypes: WeightOK and TooBig.

What would be the most efficient way of doing it? I don't think we could just have an evaluated field in props.conf/transforms.conf called eventtypes, could we? Eventtypes are normally defined in eventtypes.conf. Would it work if we created a search-time calculated field, say, mv_conditions=split(conditions,",") and then used

[app-%mv_conditions%]
search = <our search>

in eventtypes.conf? And if yes, would it be efficient?

0 Karma
1 Solution

arkadyz1
Builder

After a lot of experiments, I found that we'll have to:
a) tokenize the conditions field with TOKENIZER = ([^,]+) in fields.conf
b) resort to have all known conditions converted to eventtypes individually like this:

[WeightOK]
search = conditions=WeightOK

etc.

We are still checking the performance, even though it must already be better than our former search = conditions=*WeightOK*

View solution in original post

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

After a lot of experiments, I found that we'll have to:
a) tokenize the conditions field with TOKENIZER = ([^,]+) in fields.conf
b) resort to have all known conditions converted to eventtypes individually like this:

[WeightOK]
search = conditions=WeightOK

etc.

We are still checking the performance, even though it must already be better than our former search = conditions=*WeightOK*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...