Knowledge Management

Trying to reduce space by reducing splunkd_access.log .4 & .5 as well as web_service.log .

cevyn
Explorer

I'm trying to reduce space by reducing splunkd_access.log .4 & .5 as well as web_service.log .4 & .5 .

Doc is clear on metrics.log and I find that item in log.cfg . However this is not an exact match for web_service.log .

I did find an entry
appender.accesslog.fileName=${SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/splunkd_access.log
appender.accesslog.maxFileSize=25000000 # default: 25MB (specified in bytes).
appender.accesslog.maxBackupIndex=5 .

Tags (2)

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi cevyn,

you found the place to change it. You can put log.cfg settings into a local file, log-local.cfg file, residing in the same directory as log.cfg. The settings in log-local.cfg take precedence. And unlike log.cfg, the log-local.cfg file doesn't get overwritten on upgrade.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

cevyn
Explorer

Thanks I did not pick up on that from any doc.

Do you have any ideas specifically on web_service.log since it does not seem to be listed in that file at all?

0 Karma

cevyn
Explorer

Maybe I was less than clear first time around because of trying to figure out how to enter the question.

How do I limit number of web_service.log down from 5 to 3? like th instruction for metric logs.
Is this really not documented somewhere?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...