Knowledge Management

Summary indexes licensing usage: Is it counted against the license?

klim
Path Finder

I see in the docs splunk doc that summary indexing does not count against your license. It also says that summary indexes are built via transforming searches over event data. 

If I use a scheduled report that does not use a transforming command and saves the data to an index will that count against the license? Ie I want to extract a subset of data from the main index and save certain fields to a new index so that a role doesn't have access to all the data.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Quoting from the docs:

All summarized data has a special default source type. Events summarized in a summary events index have a source type of stash. Metric data points summarized in a summary metrics index have a source type of mcollect_stash.

If you use commands like collect or mcollect to change these source types to anything other than stash (for events) or mcollect_stash (for metric data points), you will incur license usage charges for those events or metric data points

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...