Knowledge Management

Summary Indexing - Changed behavior between v4.0.10 & 4.1.2?

sranga
Path Finder

Hi

We have a 4.0.10 instance deployed in production and are currently investigating 4.1.2. We are noticing some changes in the way summary-indexed based saved searches work in 4.1.2.

We have enabled summary-indexing on our saved-searches and they have an optional parameter like:
report = search_report_name

The above searches work fine in 4.0.10. But in the 4.1.2 instance, all of these searches generate the report value with the the date and time appended to them. For the following search:
index=summary | top report limit=0

In version 4.0.10, we get:

report         count percent  
report_name_1  8000    25  
report_name_2  8000    25  
report_name_3  8000    25  
report_name_4  8000    25  

But in version 4.1.2, we get:

report                             count percent  
report_name_1 09/03/2010 12:00:00  50      3  
report_name_1 09/03/2010 11:00:00  50      3  
report_name_1 09/03/2010 10:00:00  50      3  
report_name_1 09/03/2010 09:00:00  50      3  

This behavior basically renders our queries useless, since we are specifically looking at the report name.
Appreciate any help on this.

-Ranga

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Maybe you could post some of the searches and a few lines of data here.

0 Karma

sranga
Path Finder

Sure, do you want me to upload some files? Also, why is this a change in behavior in v4.1. The queries work fine in v4.0.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It would be helpful to see the summary queries, the reporting queries, and a sample of the data in question.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It would appear to me that the field you are indexing (report) now has a timestamp associated with it. I would double check how you have specified that field to be included in the summary index.

0 Karma

sranga
Path Finder

That field was specified as part of the "summary-index" configuration. From the UI, there is a field to add a parameter under the summary-indexing section of the scheduled search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...