Knowledge Management

SmartStore, why ES requires 90days local

damindragunatil
Explorer

Hi, can someone answer the reason for Splunk SmartStore requiring 90days of local storage when using Enterprise Security rather than 30days?

Many thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @damindragunatil,

ES needs to span 90 days historical data for baselining. This is mostly used for detecting historical anomalies. 

Another reason is datamodel accelerations/backfills. These process scans old data to check if there is any data that has not accelerated yet.

Periodically accessing old events may result huge eviction and download processes which will affect your overall performance. That is why 90 days cache is recommended.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

damindragunatil
Explorer

Thank you for the explanation, very much appreciated.

Regards

Damindra

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @damindragunatil,

ES needs to span 90 days historical data for baselining. This is mostly used for detecting historical anomalies. 

Another reason is datamodel accelerations/backfills. These process scans old data to check if there is any data that has not accelerated yet.

Periodically accessing old events may result huge eviction and download processes which will affect your overall performance. That is why 90 days cache is recommended.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...