Knowledge Management

SmartStore - The home path and cold path of each index must point to the same partition.

patng_nw
Communicator

In https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.7/Indexer/AboutSmartStore, there is a statement saying that "The home path and cold path of each index must point to the same partition."

I am considering migrating some of the indexes in my clustered indexers to SmartStore.  However, most of my indexes have their home path on an SSD partition, with the cold path on a HDD partition.   With the statement above, does it mean that I cannot migrate them to SmartStore?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is for new index definitions. SmartStore depends on CacheManager to download required data from S3 to local fast storage which is hot. Since there is no warm or cold anymore, all data should be on the fastest local disk for performance. 

On migration cases, since it is not easy to make hot  and cold path the same, system supports cold data migration by keeping the path information.

I hope this helps, of course you should test the migration on test system before production.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

patng_nw
Communicator

@scelikok 

Thanks a lot.  It makes sense.  But then what does the statement "The home path and cold path of each index must point to the same partition." in the doc really mean?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is for new index definitions. SmartStore depends on CacheManager to download required data from S3 to local fast storage which is hot. Since there is no warm or cold anymore, all data should be on the fastest local disk for performance. 

On migration cases, since it is not easy to make hot  and cold path the same, system supports cold data migration by keeping the path information.

I hope this helps, of course you should test the migration on test system before production.

patng_nw
Communicator

That's very clear now.  Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I appreciate if you can upvode.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@patng_nw, you can migrate them. Migration will move all warm and cold data to SmartStore. Only difference cold data will be fetched to cold path location. 

You can see below from documentation;

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.7/Indexer/MigratetoSmartStore 
In all respects, cold buckets are functionally equivalent to warm buckets. The cache manager manages the migrated cold buckets in the same way that it manages warm buckets. The only difference is that the cold buckets will be fetched into the cold path location, rather than the home path location.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...