Knowledge Management

Should search performance improve using saved search or summary index?

pgadhari
Builder

Hi All,

I am running a search which shows the total_used_space (storage used) of an application for last 30 days. Below is the query for the same, but it takes some 40 to 45 seconds to load the panel. I want to improve the performance of this search, so that the panel loads faster. I tried creating a saved search and use that search in the panel, but still it is running very slow. Below is the search:

index=app sourcetype="app:users" | dedup user| stats sum(space_used) as total_space | eval total_space=round(total_space/1024/1024/1024/1024,2)."TB"

Please suggest on how can I create a summary index for this, as I think summary index would improve the performance for the same. Please help resolve this issue ?

Thanks
PG

0 Karma
1 Solution

vishaltaneja070
Motivator

Hello @pgadhari

1. If you don't want to run the query again and again, then you can create a scheduled search for this and using loadjob command you can load the result of last job, which can make it faster.
  2. Otherwise go for acceleration of report which can also be helpful. you can create acceleration for 30days.
  3. For summary indexing, you can create a summary index and using collect command send the results to that index.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pgadhari
Builder

No. I dont want to know usage by user. I am finding out total used space by all users in last 30 days. The query you have written will not give me my result, as it is returning used_space by each user and that too multiple entries for each user. That is why I am using dedup user so that i get latest utilization for users. My query is returning the proper value, but as that has to be run for 30 days, which is taking time.

Hence, I need suggestion that how can I make use of summary index in this and this output value should be close to real-time. How do I configure summary index for a panel that aggregates the data for last 30 days and shows the real-time value ? Hope you got my question ? Please advise ?

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

when you use stats by user, it shouldn't return multiple entries for same user. So, if you change your search to something like below, how long does it take to run? index=app sourcetype="app:users" user=* space_used=* | fields space_used | stats sum(space_used) as total_space| eval total_space=round(total_space/1024/1024/1024/1024,2)."TB"

If you are going down the summary index approach, you can setup a scheduled search (as per the link sent earlier) and write the results to 'summary' index. Your dashboard then can have another search that pulls the results off the summary index. [ the eval total_space can be moved to the search in the dashboard as well]

0 Karma

pgadhari
Builder

the query still takes 112 seconds to execute. If I use stats by user, it calculates all the event values of last 30 days which is not correct, hence I have to use "dedup user" which will take latest used_space field value and add for all users. But still it takes more than 100 seconds which is very slow.

I have already configured summary index which is populated by scheduled search, but still that takes time. Hence, I think feasible approach is "loadjob", but the loadjob time range is the issue, as it does not load data based on timepicker option.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...