Knowledge Management

REX command issue for Multiple user agent

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

As every one knew there are multiple user agent depends on user device.  However i am trying to achieve the below output from the user agent using table command.

sample output

os_familyos_versiondevice_brand_modelbrower_enginerbrow_engine_versionhardware_typebrowserbrowser_version

User agent & Rex  

Iphone - Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 14_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0.1 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1

REX - \((?<hardware_type>\w+);\s+[^ ]+\s(?<os_family>\w+\s[^ ]+)\s+(?<os_version>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s\w+\s\w.\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s+\(.+\)\s+(?<browser_version>\w+\/[^ ]+)\s+\w+\/\w+\s(?<browser>\w+)

Xiaomi - Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 9; en-gb; Redmi Note 6 Pro Build/PKQ1.180904.001) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/71.0.3578.141 Mobile Safari/537.36 XiaoMi/MiuiBrowser/12.7.4-gn

REX - \(\w+;\s\w;\s(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+);\s[^ ]+\s(?<device_brand_model>\w+\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s\w+\/[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<hardware_type>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser>\w+\/\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+)

One Plus - Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; ONEPLUS A6013) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.101 Mobile Safari/537.36 

REX - \(\w+;\s(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s+(?<device_brand_model>\w+\s[^ ]+)\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s(?<browser>\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s(?<hardware_type>\w+)

Windows - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36 Edge/87.0.664.66

REX - \((?<os_family>\w+)\s+\w+\s+(?<os_version>[^;]+)[^\)]+\)\s(?<browser_egnine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser>\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+)

Macintosh - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0.2 Safari/605.1.15"

REX - \((?<hardware_type>\w+);\s\w+\s+(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+)\s(?<browser_enginer>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s(?<browser_version>\w+\/[^ ]+)\s(?<browser>\w+)

Lenovo - Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Lenovo YT3-X90F) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.101 Safari/537.36

REX - \(\w+;\s(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s+(?<device_brand_model>\w+\s\w+[^ ]+)\s+(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s(?<browser>\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+)

Like above i have created multiple REX command for ( Ipad/HP/Meizu/Vivo/Motorola/Lenovo/ZTE blade /One Plus / Xiaomi / Google Pixel / Android / LG / Asus/

I would like to know can we run spl cmd  with multiple REX command in single search or how can get the output i am expected to obtain all user agent details.

Thanks 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

It seems the browscap is not compatible with our version of Splunk. Could you please recommend list of various option ( Addon app ) to capture user agent details. 

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check splunkbase for other app that are compatible with your version of Splunk.

Consider updating the browscap app to be compatible with your version of Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might try combining all of the regex strings into a single regex using |.  You'll likely need the (?J) flag to avoid errors about duplicate fields.

A better way is to use an existing app.  See TA-user-agents (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1843/) or TA-browscap (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1021/).

---
0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

Could d you please give me some sample how do i join multiple REX command.

Sorry i am new and learning Splunk.

Thanks 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My advice was to join multiple regex strings, not multiple rex commands.  You would have a single rex command that would search for many regular expressions.  It would look something like this.

... | rex "(\((?<hardware_type>\w+);\s+[^ ]+\s(?<os_family>\w+\s[^ ]+)\s+(?<os_version>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s\w+\s\w.\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s+\(.+\)\s+(?<browser_version>\w+\/[^ ]+)\s+\w+\/\w+\s(?<browser>\w+))|(\(\w+;\s\w;\s(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+);\s[^ ]+\s(?<device_brand_model>\w+\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s\w+\/[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<hardware_type>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser>\w+\/\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+))"
---
0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi

I tried the above rex command getting error msg.

Sorry about my poor knowledge in Splunk

| rex "(\((?<hardware_type>\w+);\s+[^ ]+\s(?<os_family>\w+\s[^ ]+)\s+(?<os_version>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s\w+\s\w.\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s+\(.+\)\s+(?<browser_version>\w+\/[^ ]+)\s+\w+\/\w+\s(?<browser>\w+))|(\(\w+;\s\w;\s(?<os_family>\w+)\s(?<os_version>\w+);\s[^ ]+\s(?<device_brand_model>\w+\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+)\s[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser_engine>\w+)\/(?<brow_engine_version>\w+[^ ]+)\s\(.+\)\s\w+\/[^ ]+\s[^ ]+\s(?<hardware_type>\w+)\s[^ ]+\s(?<browser>\w+\/\w+)\/(?<browser_version>\w+[^ ]+))

jaibalaraman_0-1610421481941.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The example was just that - an example.  As I mentioned in my first reply, you'll have to account for multiple uses of the same field (named capture group).

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...