Knowledge Management

Problems Setting Host Values Based On Event Data

mallem
Path Finder

I have a v4.1.4 full forwarder setup to forward the Windows system and application event logs to a v4.1.4 indexer. At this point, events coming from both event logs have the hostname of the forwarder (sbkhpsim1) in the "host=" field. However, in the application event log only, I need to substitute the forwarder's hostname in the "host=" field to the name of a host within the event. Below are the inputs.conf, props.conf, and transforms.conf files from the forwarder. The REGEX to do the substitution works, so I don't think that's the issue. ANY help is appreciated.

inputs.conf

host = sbkhpsim1

[WinEventLog:System]
disabled = false

[WinEventLog:Application]
disabled = false
sourcetype = WindowsAppEventLog

props.conf

[WindowsAppEventLog]
TRANSFORMS-sim = GetEventOrigName

transforms.conf

[GetEventOrigName]
REGEX = ^Event\soriginator:\s(\w+\-?\w+)
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
FORMAT = host::$1

Event Text

05/15/12 07:30:01 AM
LogName=Application
SourceName=HP Systems Insight Manager
EventCode=3
EventType=1
Type=Error
ComputerName=SBKHPSIM1
Category=0
CategoryString=none
RecordNumber=57175
Message=sbkesx14: (SNMP) Accelerator Board Status Change (3038): 
Event Name: (SNMP) Accelerator Board Status Change (3038)
URL: http://sbkhpsim1.win.dowjones.net:280/mxportal/MxContextLaunch.jsp?systems=sbkesx14&tool=System%20Pa...
Event originator: sbkesx14
Event Severity: Critical
Event received: 15-May-2012, 07:28:51

Event description: Accelerator Board Status Change.  This trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of an array accelerator cache board.  The current status is represented by the variable cpqDaAccelStatus.  User Action: If the accelerator board status is permDisabled(5), you may need to replace the accelerator board.

Model: sa-p400
Serial Number: PA2270J9SW1878
Total Memory: 524288
Error Code: lowBattery
Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I think the caret (^) in the regex is the culprit. If I remember correctly, the line doesn't start there, the text is indented. Also, you may wish to state that it's a multiline event. Try the following regex;

REGEX=(?m)Event\soriginator:\s([^\S]+)

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

fixed typo. sorry. /k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...