Knowledge Management

Problems Setting Host Values Based On Event Data

mallem
Path Finder

I have a v4.1.4 full forwarder setup to forward the Windows system and application event logs to a v4.1.4 indexer. At this point, events coming from both event logs have the hostname of the forwarder (sbkhpsim1) in the "host=" field. However, in the application event log only, I need to substitute the forwarder's hostname in the "host=" field to the name of a host within the event. Below are the inputs.conf, props.conf, and transforms.conf files from the forwarder. The REGEX to do the substitution works, so I don't think that's the issue. ANY help is appreciated.

inputs.conf

host = sbkhpsim1

[WinEventLog:System]
disabled = false

[WinEventLog:Application]
disabled = false
sourcetype = WindowsAppEventLog

props.conf

[WindowsAppEventLog]
TRANSFORMS-sim = GetEventOrigName

transforms.conf

[GetEventOrigName]
REGEX = ^Event\soriginator:\s(\w+\-?\w+)
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
FORMAT = host::$1

Event Text

05/15/12 07:30:01 AM
LogName=Application
SourceName=HP Systems Insight Manager
EventCode=3
EventType=1
Type=Error
ComputerName=SBKHPSIM1
Category=0
CategoryString=none
RecordNumber=57175
Message=sbkesx14: (SNMP) Accelerator Board Status Change (3038): 
Event Name: (SNMP) Accelerator Board Status Change (3038)
URL: http://sbkhpsim1.win.dowjones.net:280/mxportal/MxContextLaunch.jsp?systems=sbkesx14&tool=System%20Pa...
Event originator: sbkesx14
Event Severity: Critical
Event received: 15-May-2012, 07:28:51

Event description: Accelerator Board Status Change.  This trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of an array accelerator cache board.  The current status is represented by the variable cpqDaAccelStatus.  User Action: If the accelerator board status is permDisabled(5), you may need to replace the accelerator board.

Model: sa-p400
Serial Number: PA2270J9SW1878
Total Memory: 524288
Error Code: lowBattery
Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I think the caret (^) in the regex is the culprit. If I remember correctly, the line doesn't start there, the text is indented. Also, you may wish to state that it's a multiline event. Try the following regex;

REGEX=(?m)Event\soriginator:\s([^\S]+)

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

fixed typo. sorry. /k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...