Knowledge Management

My scheduled search runs successfully, but why does it not populate the summary index?

danwilkins
Explorer

We are on 6.3.3, I have a search that returns results when I run it, I have it scheduled to run and it shows that it successfully runs, however the data is not getting put in to the summary index.

The Search

index=##someindex## sourcetype=##sometype## virus definitions  | dedup Host_Name | eval definitiontime=substr(client_sequence,0,6) + "000000" | eval newdefdate=strptime(definitiontime,"%y%m%d%H%M") 
 | eval daysOld = floor((now() - newdefdate )/86400)
 | eval DefinitionStatus = case(daysOld = 0, "Current",daysOld = 1, "1 Day Old", daysOld <= 7, "2 to 7 Days Old",daysOld <= 14, "8 to 14 Days Old", daysOld <= 30, "15 to 30 Days Old", daysOld > 30, "Over 30 Days")
 | bucket _time span=1d
 | eval _time=now()
 | sistats count by DefinitionStatus

Job Inspector for Scheduled Search
This search has completed and has returned 6 results by scanning 104,841 events in 8.937 seconds.
It is an instance of the saved search: Summary - Security.
The following messages were returned by the search subsystem:
INFO: Successfully wrote file to '/opt/splunk/var/spool/splunk/##blahblah##.stash_new'.

0 Karma
1 Solution

danwilkins
Explorer

Thank you for the responses, if anyone is looking later, it was all my mistake but perhaps it will help someone else with limited understanding if they search.

After doing a test search

| stats count | eval count="VERYLONGANDUNIQUESTRING" | summaryindex index=summary

and then searching for it, turns out my understanding of how it indexed in to the summary index was wrong. It dates it according to the earliest log, not the latest or when the scheduled search runs.

index=summary VERYLONGANDUNIQUESTRING earliest=-30y latest=+20y

View solution in original post

0 Karma

danwilkins
Explorer

Thank you for the responses, if anyone is looking later, it was all my mistake but perhaps it will help someone else with limited understanding if they search.

| stats count | eval count="VERYLONGANDUNIQUESTRING" | summaryindex index=summary

and then searching for it, turns out my understanding of how it indexed in to the summary index was wrong. It dates it according to the earliest log, not the latest or when the scheduled search runs.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First of all, try ti search in the index you specified as summary.
index=mysummary
and verify that your role has the permissions to search on it.

Then
1 - check the folder $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk
if you see it full of old files, then the SH is not able to monitor the summary results and forward them

2- then verify that your SH is configured to forward data to the indexers (like it's internal logs)

3- check splunkd.log on disk for errors

4 - check the name of your summary index, and verify it exists on the indexers.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which index you're looking/expecting your summarized data to go?

0 Karma

danwilkins
Explorer

I am expecting it in index=summary.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...