Knowledge Management

Manage data integrity: Would erasing a single log would impact the "integrity" of the logs causing a failure on the integrity check?

gascar

Hi all,

I had configured the data integrity on index=index_test of my Splunk infrastructure following the instruction on https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/Security/Dataintegritycontrol

Now I have the l1Hashes and l2Hash files as expected and I deleted, for testing, a single log from the index_test (from GUI whit "delete" command). But after performing a check-integrity command

./splunk check-integrity -index index_test 

I have no "failure", all check goes ok.
Is this an expected behaviour? My expectation was that erasing a single log would impact the "integrity" of the logs causing a failure on the integrity check. I'm missing something? Someone has experiences on this topic?

Thanks very much,
Gabriele

0 Karma

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That’s not what the “delete” command does. It doesn’t truly delete anything. It marks events as not searchable. File system hashes are meant to catch OS level changes outside of Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...