Knowledge Management

KV Store size question

D2SI
Communicator

Hello there,

We are trying to automate KV Store backup/restore but there is something I do not understand yet.

Prior 6.5.3, you had to stop the Search Head, then backup the KV Store directory. (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/Admin/BackupKVstore)

Now, there is an handy dedicated command for that which is great. (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.8/Admin/BackupKVstore

I am lost with the size difference thought.

On our Search Head, KV Store directory weight ~1 GB.

When I check our KV Store collections from the Monitoring Console, it weights less than 20 MBs total.

When I try to backup using the backup command, the output weight a few MBs, which fits well with what I see from the Monitoring COnsole.

So I am wondering why the size difference is so big between both methods. What would I loose if I restore the KV Store with the lightweight few MBs backup to a reconstructed Search Head?

Any clue ?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because nothing compresses the backend mongo DB logs, etc on disc. The only way to shrink the kvstore is back it up, clear it and restore.

View solution in original post

starcher
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because nothing compresses the backend mongo DB logs, etc on disc. The only way to shrink the kvstore is back it up, clear it and restore.

D2SI
Communicator

Thanks @starcher !

It worked like a charm indeed!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...