Knowledge Management

Why are we getting these errors: KV Store Process Terminated

rajindurbal
Path Finder

I have gotten 3 error on the search head. The errors are:

• Failed to start KV Store process. See mongod.log and splunkd.log for details.
  • KV Store changed status to failed. KVStore process terminated.
  • KV Store process terminated abnormally (exit code 14, status exited with code 14). See mongod.log and splunkd.log for details.

The problem only occurs on the search head, but the indexers are fine. This is a windows system. When I restart the search I get an error for "Cannot access appserver directly with appServerPorts configured." After a few minutes, splunk starts "normally". Not sure if the two issues are related. Could really use some help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

rajindurbal
Path Finder

So I worked with Splunk Support and what I had to do for this error was to:

• Stop Splunk
  • rename the current mongo folder to old
  • Start Splunk
  • And you will see a new mongo folder created with all the components.

View solution in original post

GregorGoetz

Had the same issue moving /opt from root fs to mounted /opt with larger partition after moving ./splunk folder to that new /opt.

0 Karma

rajindurbal
Path Finder

So it turns out that the problem was for some reason, the mongo and kvstore folders did not have the right permissions. Therefore, splunk could not access them. After changing the permission and rebooting, the problems were resolved.

0 Karma

mhouse

What were the permissions before you made the change and what permissions settings did you change it to in order to get it to work?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What are the correct permissions, exactly?

0 Karma

CarsonZa
Contributor

stop splunkd

delete this file
$SPLUNK_HOME\var\lib\splunk\kvstore\mongo\mongod.lock"

start splunkd

0 Karma

rajindurbal
Path Finder

Unfortunately, I have already tried this method. The issue continues to persist. After restarting, it starts up again with a new mongod.lock. I appreciate the feedback though.

0 Karma

CarsonZa
Contributor

the lock file will always get remade. So the fact that it comes back is normal. But if you are still experiencing issues with the kvstore staying up then try to clean it using splunk clean kvstore --local

0 Karma

CarsonZa
Contributor

have you looked at your mongod.log for any errors?

0 Karma

rajindurbal
Path Finder

The mongod.log says "Detected unclean shutdown - \mongod.lock is not empty. ".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...