Knowledge Management

Is collect command working correctly ?

dreadangel
Path Finder
index=* sourcetype="..."  ... | eval new_field="new_value-".old_field, new_field_id="[some new id]".old_field_id | table *  | collect index=inx_copy_data

Straightforward task - to select events, filter them, add some new fields, copy the results to another index.
But in inx_copy_data not all data is copied - I can't find the new fields (new_field, new_field_id) nor the old ones (old_field, old_field_id).
Do I miss something?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @dreadangel

Use stats instead of table * because using tabledoesn't transform the results and collect would still get the raw data.

something like this should do the trick :

index=* sourcetype="..."  ... | eval new_field="new_value-".old_field, new_field_id="[some new id]".old_field_id | stats values(*) as * by _time  | collect index=inx_copy_data

Reference here :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/SearchReference/Collect

Note:
Summary indexing counts against ur license so careful when using it.

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @dreadangel

Use stats instead of table * because using tabledoesn't transform the results and collect would still get the raw data.

something like this should do the trick :

index=* sourcetype="..."  ... | eval new_field="new_value-".old_field, new_field_id="[some new id]".old_field_id | stats values(*) as * by _time  | collect index=inx_copy_data

Reference here :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/SearchReference/Collect

Note:
Summary indexing counts against ur license so careful when using it.

Cheers,
David

dreadangel
Path Finder

so the big problem is due to _raw field, correct? Is any way to avoid this? Or I should omit _raw fields from collect command ?

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

yeah, sure you can omit it to avoid having the same info multiple times. It's actually best to replace that * with the exact fields you need

0 Karma

dreadangel
Path Finder

thank you!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...