Knowledge Management

In summary indexing, why does the sitimechart gives different results than the timechart?

dtrelford
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm attempting to use summary indexing to store the following search that shows timechart average cpu usage for a group of servers:

index=perfmon host="UW2*" | timechart span=1h avg(cpu_load_percent) by host

It looks like this:

alt text

When I try to use summary indexing to save this search as a report using sitimechart, the results are completely different:

index=perfmon host="UW2*" | sitimechart span=1h avg(cpu_load_percent) by host

alt text

It looks like timechart and sitimechart behave differently. Why is this? How can I get the same results from sitimechart that I get with timechart?

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The si commands - sitimechart, sitop, sistats etc all save data in what is basically a serialized format called colloquially the "prestats" format. You get new fields that are named with things like psrsvd_X - these contain the "sufficient statistics" needed to make a summary index work. Depending on the functions in your stats (or timechart - remember that timechart is really just "stats with a funny hat") command, it may need to save different things in order to reconstruct a final result over your summary.

For example, if you're summarizing count() or sum() then it's pretty each to just store the number or items counted, or the sum of them. The sum of a set of sums is still something you just add up. But, average is different. If Splunk stored the average at each "sample" of the summary index, then averaged-the-averages you'd get a very close but not mathematically accurate summarization. Instead, Splunk stores what the average is made of -- a count and a sum.

For some experimentation and an example, I'm using this metrics log data everyone has:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue  | sitimechart span=1h avg(current_size_kb) by name

When I run this, I get a result with some funny psrsvd fields in it, like psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb and psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb. There are some others too, but I want to focus on these two. These are, during the generation of the summary, the count and the sum. Let's do some experimentation:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue 
| sitimechart span=1h avg(current_size_kb) by name 
| search name=indexqueue 
| search psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb > 0 
| eval average=psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb / psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb

I am taking the output of my sitimechart and manually recreating the definition of average by dividing sum by count. Then we'll compare it to basically the same data intimechart.

alt text

Now I'll run a very similar, but not identical, search using just timechart.

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue name=indexqueue 
| timechart span=1h avg(current_size_kb) by name 
| search indexqueue!=0

alt text

Cool, the exact same averages. Part of the point here is that my summary index generation parameters and my summary index usage parameters can be a little different and the maths still work out to be reasonable. Like, if I'm collecting CPU usage on an hourly average, then I can report on it with an hourly average, or a daily average, or a weekly average or whatever -- it's just a question of how many different values of "count" and "sum" that I add up in order to compute an average. (Note this is only true when you roll up to larger time windows - I can't take an hourly sample of average CPU and use that to derive a per-minute average). This helps you understand why Splunk stores summary index data in this strange prestats serialized format - its more flexible for reporting on later, even if it's not easily human readable.

While I was writing this, I set up a summary index to run as follows:

| sitimechart span=1m avg(current_size_kb) by name

This is in a scheduled search named "test", scheduled for every hour over the past hour. If I look at the data in the summary index,

index=summary search_name="test"

I see it's in the prestats format, like so:

06/17/2018 12:14:00 -0500, search_name=test, search_now=1529255700.000, info_min_time=1529252100.000, info_max_time=1529255700.000, info_search_time=1529255700.170, name=udp_queue, psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb=2, psrsvd_gc=2, psrsvd_nc_current_size_kb=2, psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb=0, psrsvd_v=1, psrsvd_vt_current_size_kb=0

Now I can use a "regular timechart" to get data out of the summary and present it in a sane visualization:

Hopefully this helps as a walkthrough of what is happening and lets you figure out where you've got things askew.

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The si commands - sitimechart, sitop, sistats etc all save data in what is basically a serialized format called colloquially the "prestats" format. You get new fields that are named with things like psrsvd_X - these contain the "sufficient statistics" needed to make a summary index work. Depending on the functions in your stats (or timechart - remember that timechart is really just "stats with a funny hat") command, it may need to save different things in order to reconstruct a final result over your summary.

For example, if you're summarizing count() or sum() then it's pretty each to just store the number or items counted, or the sum of them. The sum of a set of sums is still something you just add up. But, average is different. If Splunk stored the average at each "sample" of the summary index, then averaged-the-averages you'd get a very close but not mathematically accurate summarization. Instead, Splunk stores what the average is made of -- a count and a sum.

For some experimentation and an example, I'm using this metrics log data everyone has:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue  | sitimechart span=1h avg(current_size_kb) by name

When I run this, I get a result with some funny psrsvd fields in it, like psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb and psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb. There are some others too, but I want to focus on these two. These are, during the generation of the summary, the count and the sum. Let's do some experimentation:

| sitimechart span=1h avg(current_size_kb) by name 
| search name=indexqueue 
| search psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb > 0 
| eval average=psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb / psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb

I am taking the output of my sitimechart and manually recreating the definition of average by dividing sum by count. Then we'll compare it to basically the same data intimechart.

alt text

Now I'll run a very similar, but not identical, search using just timechart.

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue name=indexqueue 
| search indexqueue!=0

alt text

Cool, the exact same averages. Part of the point here is that my summary index generation parameters and my summary index usage parameters can be a little different and the maths still work out to be reasonable. Like, if I'm collecting CPU usage on an hourly average, then I can report on it with an hourly average, or a daily average, or a weekly average or whatever -- it's just a question of how many different values of "count" and "sum" that I add up in order to compute an average. (Note this is only true when you roll up to larger time windows - I can't take an hourly sample of average CPU and use that to derive a per-minute average). This helps you understand why Splunk stores summary index data in this strange prestats serialized format - its more flexible for reporting on later, even if it's not easily human readable.

While I was writing this, I set up a summary index to run as follows:

| sitimechart span=1m avg(current_size_kb) by name

This is in a scheduled search named "test", scheduled for every hour over the past hour. If I look at the data in the summary index,

I see it's in the prestats format, like so:

06/17/2018 12:14:00 -0500, search_name=test, search_now=1529255700.000, info_min_time=1529252100.000, info_max_time=1529255700.000, info_search_time=1529255700.170, name=udp_queue, psrsvd_ct_current_size_kb=2, psrsvd_gc=2, psrsvd_nc_current_size_kb=2, psrsvd_sm_current_size_kb=0, psrsvd_v=1, psrsvd_vt_current_size_kb=0

Now I can use a "regular timechart" to get data out of the summary and present it in a sane visualization:

Hopefully this helps as a walkthrough of what is happening and lets you figure out where you've got things askew.

dtrelford
Path Finder

Thank you for the in-depth explanation! This is very helpful. I will review and test it out.

0 Karma

dtrelford
Path Finder

Tested this morning with no issues. Thanks again!

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have not provided enough information to enable anyone to help you solve your problem. It is likely you are misusing the sitimechart command, and/or have not made your summary generation search correctly.

Share with us:

[1] The search you are using to make your summary index
[2] The search you are using to pull data from your summary index

0 Karma

dtrelford
Path Finder

Hi dwaddle, maybe I'm misunderstanding your request, but I included both searches above.

index=perfmon host="UW2*" | sitimechart span=1h avg(cpu_load_percent) by host

^ to create summary index

index=summary host="UW2*" | timechart span=1h avg(cpu_load_percent) by host

^ to pull from summary

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OH I missed them, MY APOLOGIES! Well that is strange, as you seem to have done it right. Let me do some more digging

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dtrelford,
What about the statistics tab ? The avg should be same for a timestamp for both commands.
SI-* commands add additional fields to the result to summarize as mentioned in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Knowledge/Usesummaryindexing#Fields_added_to_summa...

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

dtrelford
Path Finder

Here's the statistics tab for both, with the same timestamp. The CPU avg usage of 1.02% is what I'm looking to timechart. That value is not present in the sitimechart statistic results:

timechart:

_time UW2SERVER01

2018-06-17 09:00 1.0268111210652904

sitimechart:

_time host psrsvd_ct_cpu_load_percent psrsvd_gc psrsvd_nc_cpu_load_percent psrsvd_sm_cpu_load_percent psrsvd_v psrsvd_vt_cpu_load_percent
2018-06-17 09:00 UW2SERVER01 75 2243 75 80.72541951731340000000000 1 23

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...