Knowledge Management

How to search that only the scheduled search adds results to the summary index

MonkeyK
Builder

Slightly indirect question.

What I am really trying to do is to ensure that only the scheduled search adds results to the summary index.

For lookup tables, the report scheduling dialog box lets me specify that search results should go to a lookup table. This is nice because if I edit the search, I don't have to worry about accidentally updating the lookup table.

Unfortunately, report scheduling does not have a similar option for summary indices (#featurerequest), so I was thinking that I could roll my own if the report could know that it is running as part of a schedule. Something like

<base search>
| eval isScheduled=check_scheduling_info()
| search isScheduled
|<summarize data>
|collect index=my_summary marker="search_name=my_search"

or maybe somehow conditionally write to the test index instead of my_summary if the search is not running as part of a schedule.

Is this something that can be done? Is there a better way to go about what I really want?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here is a macro definition from my macros.conf that does this:

[SIEMMacro_Collect_Conditional(2)]
args = stringGeneratingSearchName_INPUT, summaryIndexName_INPUT
definition = addinfo\
\
| rename COMMENT1of2 AS "If the scheduler is running this, it WILL get written to the SI (2nd stanza) but"\
| rename COMMENT2of2 AS "If a person is running ad-hoc, it will NOT get written to the SI (1st stanza)."\
| multireport\
\
[ eval AdHocUserRun=if(match(info_sid, "^scheduler__"), "N", "SoNotSavedToSI")\
| search NOT AdHocUserRun="N" ]\
\
[ eval AdHocUserRun=if(match(info_sid, "^scheduler__"), "N", "Y")\
| search AdHocUserRun="N" | fields - AdHocUserRun\
| collect $summaryIndexName_INPUT$ addtime=t marker="report_name=\"$stringGeneratingSearchName_INPUT$\"" ]
errormsg = Description: Author = Gregg Woodcock
iseval = 0

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can remove the | collect from the SPL of your saved search and use the alert/report action to output results to lookup and than have another search that runs every few minutes to copy data from the lookup to the summary index. There is no reason for anybody to run the 2nd search because it is a system-level housekeeping search. But the main search which will be run ad-hoc for many good reasons is now safe to run by people at any time.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here is a macro definition from my macros.conf that does this:

[SIEMMacro_Collect_Conditional(2)]
args = stringGeneratingSearchName_INPUT, summaryIndexName_INPUT
definition = addinfo\
\
| rename COMMENT1of2 AS "If the scheduler is running this, it WILL get written to the SI (2nd stanza) but"\
| rename COMMENT2of2 AS "If a person is running ad-hoc, it will NOT get written to the SI (1st stanza)."\
| multireport\
\
[ eval AdHocUserRun=if(match(info_sid, "^scheduler__"), "N", "SoNotSavedToSI")\
| search NOT AdHocUserRun="N" ]\
\
[ eval AdHocUserRun=if(match(info_sid, "^scheduler__"), "N", "Y")\
| search AdHocUserRun="N" | fields - AdHocUserRun\
| collect $summaryIndexName_INPUT$ addtime=t marker="report_name=\"$stringGeneratingSearchName_INPUT$\"" ]
errormsg = Description: Author = Gregg Woodcock
iseval = 0

MonkeyK
Builder

Super useful! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...