Knowledge Management

How to move all the data from one index to another?

ayush-choudhary
Explorer

Issue : In the _internal logs we have logs from all Splunk UF and Splunk Enterprise components. The _internal logs from Splunk UF we do not want for more than 15 days. But _internal logs from Splunk Enterprise components such as CM/LM/MC, IDX, SH, SHC, DS, HF we want to store for longer duration for analysis purpose.

Now if we send _internal logs of Splunk enterprise component to different index then a lot of out-of-box searches in MC will not run as it should be. Even the inbuilt license query will be effected.

We have tried using mcollect to send the _internal logs to another index but then sourcetype is changed to Stash. 

Please let me know if there is a way to do it??

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ayush-choudhary,

it's not so clear for me why you want a different retention period for data of other machines.

Anyway, I didn't tested, but it should run: you could export _raw data in a summary index, running a simple search:

index=_internal host IN (CM_hostname, IDX_hostname, SH_hostname, SHCv, DS_hostname, HF_hostname)
| collect index=summary_internal

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...