Knowledge Management

How do you manage several look-ups reviews?

AntoineDRN
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers, 

I come to you in order to gather some tips and tricks around look-ups management.

For example, I have several look-ups used to whitelist some machine, and after a time a part of these machine aren't used anymore. I bet we are not the only one to face this, so I was wondering, how you manage the review and update of these? 

I first had the idea to use the [fschange] stanza on ours to get mofications (with time information and details about the change Add/Delete/Edit). But i also saw that is was deprecated. Is it still a good thing to use in order to manage our look-ups? Is there something that replace this stanza? Because I unfortunately have not found anything. 

I also thought adding columns to have the "Creation date"/"Modification date"/"Too old" or stuff like that for each row. Is that a good enought workaround?

Thanks for your tips! 🙂

Happy Splunking,

A-D

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Atriarc
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would think that adding an additional column to your lookups containing the epoch time value for when the entry was created (or modified if you want that much granularity/complexity). From there it just becomes a matter of when to roll stale data out of the lookup. 

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AntoineDRN,

I'd create a scheduled search that checks the missing machines, so you can update your lookup when in the results there's a deprecated machine.

Or otherwise (I don't like it) you could also automatically update your lookup using a scheduled search, but I prefer the other solution because it gives me more control.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Atriarc
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would think that adding an additional column to your lookups containing the epoch time value for when the entry was created (or modified if you want that much granularity/complexity). From there it just becomes a matter of when to roll stale data out of the lookup. 

Tags (1)

AntoineDRN
Path Finder

That's what I will try to implement.

Thanks for your answer

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...