Knowledge Management

How do I search for Technology Add-ons or hidden apps in Splunk. Thank u in advance

SamHTexas
Builder

Are TAs always hidden? How do I hide an app from popular view so it is only viewable by Admins?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, TAs typically are hidden.  More generally, apps with a UI are visible whereas those without a UI (like TAs) are not.  You can make a TA visible, but there's nothing to see.

IIRC, the Manage Apps screen is only visible to admins and will show both visible and hidden apps.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

General_Talos
Path Finder

Splunk TAs are mostly hidden, because most of the TAs don't  have any dashboard (only visible if required configuration inputs)

To make it visible

- Go to Manage Apps

- To extreme left to your App/TA you will see "Edit Properties"

- Change "Visible" setting from No to Yes

General_Talos_0-1625539171596.png

To your second question, "How do I hide an app from popular view so it is only viewable by Admins?"

- You can define App/TA visibility based on Roles

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Hiding-Apps/m-p/29154

You can go to the Application in Manager (Manager » Apps » » Permissions) and set the role that has access to a particular application. That way you can control what apps a group of users have access to.

Roy_9
Motivator

@richgalloway or @General_Talos 

How do we need to hide the app that is downloaded from Splunk base to be viewed by other customers through source control like Git?

I see a file with default.meta where it says

[]

owner =admin
access =  read : [*], write : [ admin ]

export = system

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...