Knowledge Management

Extracting the date from a filename without modifying the datetime.xml

mahbs
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm trying to extract the date from a filename without having to configure the config.file, i want to be able to achieve this through the search panel.

This is my file name: name_name_20171130.txt

This is the regular expression I've found that is the closest to helping me achieve what I need:

source="name_name_20171130.txt" host="xxx" |   rex field= source="(?<date>[\d/]+)\s\w+" |table _raw 
ITEM, SOH_DIFF, field

Alternatively, this expression: (?\d{8})

Please Help!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi

Can you please try this query, it will extract date from your source file name in date field.

source="name_name_20171130.txt" host="xxx" |   rex field=source "(?:[^\_]*\_){2}(?<date>.*)\.txt" |table _raw, ITEM, SOH_DIFF, date

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Harshil

View solution in original post

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi

Can you please try this query, it will extract date from your source file name in date field.

source="name_name_20171130.txt" host="xxx" |   rex field=source "(?:[^\_]*\_){2}(?<date>.*)\.txt" |table _raw, ITEM, SOH_DIFF, date

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Harshil

0 Karma

mahbs
Path Finder

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...