Knowledge Management

Explain Data Models (Like I'm Four)

test_qweqwe
Builder

I already read this Explain Data Models (Like I'm Five)

But still not understand what mean Data Models and I need to understand this topic in a short time.
The official documentation from Splunk about this topic is difficult for me understand, most likely
I have low technical knowledge.
Even when I translated half of information about Data Models in Splunk documentation into my native language I still can't understand and visualize all the processes in my head.

Can someone by simple English explain me about Data Models?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lloydknight
Builder

Hello @test_qweqwe

It's like a whole set of logs automatically arranged with their rightful fields.

I'll give an example:

Splunk field:
chocolate

Field values of chocolate:
- dark
- milk

drilldown on field values:
dark
- 40%
- 50%
- 80%

milk
- goat's milk
- soy milk
- cow's milk

As per Splunk docs,

Data models are composed of datasets, which can be arranged in hierarchical structures of parent and child datasets. Each child dataset represents a subset of the dataset covered by its parent dataset.

Hope it helps!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

lloydknight
Builder

Hello @test_qweqwe

It's like a whole set of logs automatically arranged with their rightful fields.

I'll give an example:

Splunk field:
chocolate

Field values of chocolate:
- dark
- milk

drilldown on field values:
dark
- 40%
- 50%
- 80%

milk
- goat's milk
- soy milk
- cow's milk

As per Splunk docs,

Data models are composed of datasets, which can be arranged in hierarchical structures of parent and child datasets. Each child dataset represents a subset of the dataset covered by its parent dataset.

Hope it helps!

Thanks!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...