Knowledge Management

Explain Data Models (Like I'm Four)

test_qweqwe
Builder

I already read this Explain Data Models (Like I'm Five)

But still not understand what mean Data Models and I need to understand this topic in a short time.
The official documentation from Splunk about this topic is difficult for me understand, most likely
I have low technical knowledge.
Even when I translated half of information about Data Models in Splunk documentation into my native language I still can't understand and visualize all the processes in my head.

Can someone by simple English explain me about Data Models?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lloydknight
Builder

Hello @test_qweqwe

It's like a whole set of logs automatically arranged with their rightful fields.

I'll give an example:

Splunk field:
chocolate

Field values of chocolate:
- dark
- milk

drilldown on field values:
dark
- 40%
- 50%
- 80%

milk
- goat's milk
- soy milk
- cow's milk

As per Splunk docs,

Data models are composed of datasets, which can be arranged in hierarchical structures of parent and child datasets. Each child dataset represents a subset of the dataset covered by its parent dataset.

Hope it helps!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

lloydknight
Builder

Hello @test_qweqwe

It's like a whole set of logs automatically arranged with their rightful fields.

I'll give an example:

Splunk field:
chocolate

Field values of chocolate:
- dark
- milk

drilldown on field values:
dark
- 40%
- 50%
- 80%

milk
- goat's milk
- soy milk
- cow's milk

As per Splunk docs,

Data models are composed of datasets, which can be arranged in hierarchical structures of parent and child datasets. Each child dataset represents a subset of the dataset covered by its parent dataset.

Hope it helps!

Thanks!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...