Knowledge Management

Did Splunk Inc just get rid of Maxmind's free iplocation database and replace it with a different free product?

untieshoe
Path Finder

Did Splunk Inc just get rid of Maxmind's free iplocation database and replace it with a different free product (dbip-city-lite.mmdb)?

Am I the only one who thinks the accuracy of the IP lookups has gotten much worse with dbip-city-lite?

If this new database is to be believed, all my IP6 connections are coming from Texas, New York or Illianois and I work in Chicago (I don't).

Maxmind (free version that came with Splunk) was not 100%, but seemed to be much more accurate throughout the years I used it.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

untieshoe
Path Finder

I have subscribed to MaxMind and will use their MMDB instead.

Seems like I can even upload the file to Splunk Cloud.

I guess this will work. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

untieshoe
Path Finder

I have subscribed to MaxMind and will use their MMDB instead.

Seems like I can even upload the file to Splunk Cloud.

I guess this will work. Thank you.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I haven't compared the new geolocation database with the old one so I can't comment on that.

You can, however, get a free Maxmind account, download their database, and install it in Splunk.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.1/SearchReference/Iplocation#Updating_the_IP_geoloc...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...