Knowledge Management

Datamodel accleration status 100%, why do I need allow_old_summaries=t?

MonkeyK
Builder

I have enabled the Network_Traffic data model with acceleration going back 32 days. After a recent Splunk upgrade to
Splunk: 7.2.6
Splunk ES: 5.2.2

I noticed that my Network Traffic data model count volumes dropped off after going back about 2 weeks, despite an acceleration status of 100% complete. Found that by setting allowoldsummaries=t I could get all of the data.

Tried re-indexing the data model. It seemed to pick up data further back, but still not all of it.
I can check the model with this:

| tstats summariesonly=t allow_old_summaries=t count as DMcountWithOld from datamodel=Network_Traffic.All_Traffic by span=1d _time 
| append [tstats summariesonly=t count as DMcountNoOld from datamodel=Network_Traffic.All_Traffic by span=1d _time ]
| timechart span=1d sum(DMcountWithOld) as DMcountWithOld sum(DMcountNoOld) as DMcountNoOld

and I still see results diverge starting about 2 weeks back
alt text

Any ideas on why the data model acceleration fizzled out?

If it matters, ES is on a 6 search head cluster

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...