Knowledge Management

Correcting timestamp with ingest-time eval?

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have a quite unusual case. One of my sources emits logs with a very stupid timestamp format. It consists of a date and time glued together, which on its own is quite ok, but followed with a timezone info in form of time difference vs UTC expressed... in minutes.

So it's not your typical "+0200". No. It's "+120". There's no such timezone format in your strptime format specification so I have to do it some other way. Since _time is crucial to the proper event processing, of course I have to adjust it in ingest time.

I thought about parsing the offset from the timestamp as an independent field and then correcting the _time field before indexing the event. Does it make sense? I don't see any other way of producing correct timestamp from such data.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
That should work. If I recall right there are somewhere this kind of examples for using ingest time eval.
R. Ismo

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thx for confirmation. 🙂

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It was this what I refer https://conf.splunk.com/files/2020/slides/PLA1154C.pdf and 

4. Configuration to Demultiplex Conflicting Time Formats

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...