Knowledge Management

Best way to set up Splunk as a receiver (Splunk protocol) and forwarder (Splunk protocol and syslog protocol)

zizzencs

I'm trying to set up a Splunk instance on linux that can do the following:

• receive logs from windows universal forwarders
  • send some of the logs to our central Splunk server
  • send all logs to our central log archiving server via syslog protocol

The documentation says that "The syslog output processor is not available for universal or light forwarders." so I guess I'll have to use a Heavy Forwarder in this situation because of the 3rd requirement.

I tried to run the following commands:

yum install splunk
cd /opt/splunk/bin/
./splunk start
./splunk enable app SplunkForwarder
./splunk restart

This however didn't seem to disable the web user interface and the UI showed that some applications (e.g. search and splunk_datapreview) were still running.

Is there a way to create a "light" Heavy Forwarder that accomplishes only what I need without all those fancy features? If yes, how can it be done?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can disable Splunk Web using the CLI like this :

./splunk disable webserver
./splunk restart
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...