Knowledge Management

Any experience/practices with old buckets getting created with sourcetype config_file?

daniel333
Builder

All, 

I have an index (index=config) where all I store are the sourcetype=config_file. I currently use the stock config from Splunk_TA_nix. 

What I am thinking is happening is that when we provision new server the config_files are often dated in years old so Splunk is creating new bucked dated years old. Is that reasonable assumption? 

Looking at btool I am thinking all I need to do is set MAX_DAYS_AGO = 1 from 2000. 

Here is the error message I am seeing The percentage of small buckets (100%) created over the last hour is high and exceeded the red thresholds (50%) for index=configs, and possibly more indexes, on this indexer. At the time this alert fired, total buckets created=4, small buckets=4

Any other input or best practices around indexing config_files? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...