Knowledge Management

An instance of fill_summary_index is already running for app=search

tanuki505
Explorer

I had the Admin of our Splunk Inder run a fill_summary_index.py job. The first time he ran it, it worked but quit after indexing 20 Days of the 4 Months worth of data.

He is now getting the following error when trying to rerun the job, "An instance of fill_summary_index is already running for app=search".
So far he has done the following:
Reboot of the System, did not help.
Ran "ps aux | grep fill_summary_index" command, no results.
Looked for locks in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Catch/log/ but says there is no such file.
Any suggestions on what to do next?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MarioM
Motivator

it has to be a lock file somewhere...That only reason i know for this message outside the backfill still running in jobs...did you search locks in all $SPLUNK_HOME/*? And checked job manager?

View solution in original post

ravindra_ap
Explorer

I am also having similar Problem, Should we delete the lock file in order to run it again?

jyamie
Explorer

yes you need to delete it for the backfill command to restart

MarioM
Motivator

it has to be a lock file somewhere...That only reason i know for this message outside the backfill still running in jobs...did you search locks in all $SPLUNK_HOME/*? And checked job manager?

tanuki505
Explorer

Found the lock file under the name of the app. $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Search/log/ . Thank you for the reply.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...