Knowledge Management

Almost 50% of Splunk Documentation is missing

jumper4000
Explorer

It's getting worse and worse. Many many Google links, search links, Splunk Answers links, are all leading to missing documentation and dead links. Has anyone else noticed this? Will this be fixed?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The documentation is definitely not missing. Go to docs.splunk.com and search there; the results are reliable.

There are a lot of out-of-date links. There was a substantial reorganization to the Splunk docs for Splunk 5.0. It is taking the Google indexers a long time to catch up.

There are also many postings on Answers that point to old URLs. That is frustrating, I agree...the best bet when you encounter a link like this is--again--to search on docs.splunk.com for the topic.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The documentation is definitely not missing. Go to docs.splunk.com and search there; the results are reliable.

There are a lot of out-of-date links. There was a substantial reorganization to the Splunk docs for Splunk 5.0. It is taking the Google indexers a long time to catch up.

There are also many postings on Answers that point to old URLs. That is frustrating, I agree...the best bet when you encounter a link like this is--again--to search on docs.splunk.com for the topic.

jumper4000
Explorer

Thank you.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Update, 12/31/12: piebob and I have gone through 1000 answers and updated the links so they work (and will work permanently). And the Splunk web development team has some things in the works that should help the Google search issues longer-term.

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes...the Splunk web team is working on some fixes that should help with the Google situation. And there are some improvements in the works for the Splunk docs site search as well. At the moment, that is still your best bet for finding the information you need.

For the broken links in Answers, it would require manually editing all the posts with links in them. There's no simple redirect we could put in place that would handle the change.

0 Karma

jumper4000
Explorer

I agree, it is EXTREMELY frustrating. Often, Google does a better job at finding answers than the Splunk search engine, but lately, it's very frequent that the link found by Google doesn't exist anymore. Splunk should have done a better job at maintaining previous links when they shuffled their documents.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...