Knowledge Management

Advantages of rolling over warm bucket to cold bucket.

sreerajms
Explorer

If all the hot, warm and cold buckets are in the same disk partition, then is there any advantage in rolling over indexed data in older warm buckets to cold bucket?

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

same disk partition there is no advantage in rolling over indexed data in older warm buckets to cold bucket

considerations for different storage paths
1. cost 2. performance

Splunk search gives you the results in reverse chronological order-- mostly we are interested to search recent data/logs, than historical and by default Splunk first looks in the hot bucket, then the warm buckets, then cold. The frozen db is never searched.

A recommended setup is to define hot and warm on your local high speed read+write raid1+0 disks,
to define coldPath on the slower disks with a good read speed (RAID5) or remote volumes,

Be aware that the performances of Splunk will depend on the performance of the storage:

indexing performance: linked to the write speed on the homePath location
search performance: linked to the read speed on the homePath and coldPath location.

For example: doing searches over long periods, using old data stored on remote volumes will be slower than doing a specific search on recent events on the local high speed volumes.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...