Knowledge Management

Accessing Fields in Summary Index

bzam
Explorer

I was curious if anyone could help me understand or point me to documentation that refers to accessing fields in a summary index.  

I've found that running eval against a known field (bytes) that I'm writing to the summary index results in no information being populated for the eval field 'gb':

index=my_summary
| eval gb=bytes/(pow(1024, 3))
| stats sum(gb) by _time

If I perform a stats call, then the field appears to be exposed and I can utilize the eval to populate the 'gb' field: 

index=my_summary
| stats sum(bytes) as bytes by _time
| eval gb=bytes/(pow(1024, 3))
| stats sum(gb) by _time

Just curious if there was any insight to why this may be the case.  I wouldn't expect it to work this way.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

impurush
Contributor

Hi @bzam,

I tried your query and it looks working for me. I took one of the fields from the summary index and replaced the bytes in your query, it worked both ways.

Please check whether the bytes field is there in your summary index and also tried to step by step, like run the query until, you calculate the GB and see your fields section whether the GB variable is extracted or not, then you can apply the stats function on top of that.

bzam
Explorer

I think I found the issue here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/UseSireportingcommands

The search against the summary index cannot create or modify fields before the | stats <args> command.

So, if the field is 'prestats reserved', then new fields cannot be created from them, using eval for instance, until the stats command is encountered, which is the behavior that I'm seeing.

0 Karma

bzam
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback @impurush!  Possibly I'm not populating the summary index properly.  Here is my populating sistats

| sistats count(session_id) as session_count, sum(bytes) as bytes, sum(bytes_in) as bytes_in, sum(bytes_out) as bytes_out, sum(duration) as duration, by src_location, dest_port, action, _time

When I run 'fieldsummary', I do not see the "bytes" field, only the aggregation fields, although  I do see the bytes field associated with the internal mechanisms of the summary index i.e. psrsvd_ct_bytes, psrsvd_sm_bytes.

I think I'll hit the docs site for another round of learning to be sure I'm understanding.

Ethan

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...