Installation

view license usage on slaves? no access to license master web interface

r999
Path Finder

We have a few diffent splunk splunk installations which i would like all to use a central License master.

However if a different team mananges the other splunk installation and i have setup a pool and licence allocation for them - how can they see and monitor their usage?

I dont want to permission them to the License Manager Search head.

As i understand no license usage is logged to the slaves?

Do i have to create a report to send out license usage details to respective team?

Or is there a way to get this data to the slave installation?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

RubenOlsen
Path Finder

I have the exact same issue at at customers site, and will have to solve this using a variant of the following search (which might be run on the license server):

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log | fields pool b | stats sum(b) by pool

Another solution is to forward the license server's Splunk specific log files to your indexer(s) and perform the search there.

As a general rule, if you do not (for any operational/security reasons) have direct access (OS level, Splunk GUI) to your forwarders, license servers or indexer's Splunk (log and config) files - getting these into a place where you DO have access is really a must. Your operations people might know how to efficiently run Splunk on the operating system level - but there is no guarantee they know anything about how to manage Splunk. Splunk can be quite complex to manage - and unless the operations people are using Splunk, they will probably not care too much about how the software is supposed to work.

\Ruben

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...