Installation

reinstalling splunk enterprise - RESOLVED

vikram_m
Path Finder

splunk was installed on a machine and we wanted to reinstall it.

What I did is I stopped Splunk, removed directory and restarted server.

I still got this error so I went to the run level and removed the process from runnig and took server restart.

Still I am facing the same issue of "package splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4.x86_64 is already installed"

Please let me know how can I install splunk and begin configuration again.

[splunk@Search3~]$ sudo rpm -ivh /opt/splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm
warning: /opt/splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 653fb112: NOKEY
Preparing... ################################# [100%]
package splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4.x86_64 is already installed

Thanks.
Vikram.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

klaxdal
Contributor

Try this sudo rpm -ivh /opt/splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm --force

View solution in original post

klaxdal
Contributor

Try this sudo rpm -ivh /opt/splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm --force

vikram_m
Path Finder

Thanks this force command worked.

0 Karma

anwarmian
Communicator

I give klaxdal a plus point because it works

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi vikram_m,
you have to remove package from RPM

rpm -e package splunk-6.5.3-36937ad027d4.x86_64.rpm

and after reinstall it.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

davop

I have the same issue but in windows. Could you advise how i could reinstall splunk?

kind regards

0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

Thanks Giuseppe

but I tried this command and had a server restart still I am getting the same error. 😞

Thanks.
Vikram.

0 Karma

dorgra
Path Finder

Installed 7.2.6 on a new server (Fedora 30) at home. Did this exact same thing. Thanks for this post. As a newbie to Linux, this saved me a lot of grief.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

try to use tar instead rpm, you have only to create splunk user and splunk group (if they aren't for the previous installation).
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...