Installation

new outputs.conf, debug shows new server, forwarder still going to the old server

cjc_spladmin
Loves-to-Learn

Hi folks, we deployed an updated outputs.conf across our enterprise to get the forwarders to report to new index servers. I have a forwarder that according to its own logs, is still reporting to the old indexers. The debug tool says it is configured properly for the new indexers. I have disabled deployment client. I can't find any reference to the old servers anywhere in the config, yet it is still reporting to the old servers after multiple restarts. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ilya_resh
Engager

If your new outputs.conf is configured in a separate app, check in app.conf whether by any chance it has state = disabled. If it is, comment this line out (or change to state = enabled)

0 Karma

cjc_spladmin
Loves-to-Learn

Hey! So, the new inputs.conf was pointing to the wrong addresses for the index servers. I can't figure out how it knew to go to the old servers, but at any rate, now it's going to the new index server and getting an SSL error. Thanks!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
By "debug tool" do you mean btool?
What do you mean by "disabled deployment client"?
When you search for the forwarders logs on a SH, does the splunk_server field show the new indexer(s) or old?
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

cjc_spladmin
Loves-to-Learn

I checked that deploymentclient.conf was set to "disabled = true"

yes, the btool 

splunk cmd btool outputs --debug list

The forwarders own logs show it connecting to the old server.

The splunk enterprise web interface tool search shows the events that the forwarder is reporting, are reported from the old server. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...