Installation

need MD5 sum of splunk enterprise 7.1.5 .rpm

zahorek
Engager

I am setting up a new indexer in our corporate splunk cluster. I am planning to use the identical version of splunk enterprise that we currently are using on other host members of the cluster.

I have the splunk installer .rpm I believe was used to set up other hosts previously.
I want to make sure it is a valid .rpm as downloaded from splunk.com
I was unable to find a reference list for MD5 sums of earlier releases of splunk on the splunk.com website.
Here is what I have and the MD5 sum of the installer file.

file: splunk-7.1.5-fd4da3d4caf1-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm
md5: e5ce0f7bcd686f5ee315147c16e546a4

Can anyone tell me if the MD5 sum above suggests that the installer file is legitimate?

0 Karma

eregon
Path Finder

MD5 (splunk-7.1.5-fd4da3d4caf1-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm) = e5ce0f7bcd686f5ee315147c16e546a4

Your installer is fine.

However, you should not trust anyone just because they are saying this in the discussion, so here is how you can get the correct checksum yourself:

1. Go to Splunk downloads page (https://www.splunk.com/en_us/download/splunk-enterprise.html).
  2. Click Older releases link.
  3. Find the version you need and click it. You'll get to the page titled "Thank You for Downloading Splunk Enterprise"
  4. Cancel the download (unless you want to redownload the installer).
  5. There is "Download MD5" link in right column of this page. Click it.
  6. You'll be offered to download *.md5 file - it is a plaintext file containing one line similar to the first line of my answer.

DavidHourani
Super Champion

how can he trust the steps if he doesn't trusts anyone ? and if he is someone then can he trust himself ? 😛
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_no_one_(Internet_security)

0 Karma

eregon
Path Finder

DavidHourani: hmmm, nice link, but how can anyone trust it is actually a thing? 🙂 You brought me to pretty amazing idea: I'll answer all questions here by something like "No matter what you ask, never trust any answers, only trust yourself!". Victory in Karma contest will be mine in no time! 🙂

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hahaha it could work but dont trust me on that

martynoconnor
Communicator

I certainly don't trust you @DavidHourani - you seem quite the dodgy fellow to me!

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Lool, the web can be a scary place 😛

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...