Installation

can forwarder using admin account on mac?

johnny21
Path Finder

Good Evening,

I am trying to run the following command from a Mac workstation on the latest "Splunk Free" license.

./splunk add forward-server 10.0.155.112:9997 

Splunk username: admin 

Password: 
Login failed

When I try to add an account to setup the forwarder, splunk tells me the following:

"Users is an Enterprise license-level feature and is currently not available on this instance.
To enable this and other Enterprise features, learn more about licenses at Splunk.com or contact Splunk Sales directly."

Am I doing something wrong or is the free version designed primarily for windows? Or is there a setting which will allow the admin account to authenticate this user for forwarding? Thanks for the help.

0 Karma

liveauctioneers
Engager

If you're doing what I was doing (entering the password that you set for your receiver), try admin/changeme - It seems that forwarder has its own credentials.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

looks like a bug to me, but if you're using a forwarder, you should enable the forwarder license instead of the free license. in either case, you should be able to enable forwarding by creating a configuration file, which I always prefer to executing the command. Create outputs.conf:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = indexerGroup

[tcpout:indexerGroup]
server = 10.0.155.112:9997
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...