Installation

Windows Server 2012-2016 Upgrade Universal Forwarder from 6.* to 8.1.3 & 7.3.9

davidcgonzalez

Hi!

I´m planning the upgrade from our current version of Splunk (V 6.*) to 8.1.3 on Server2016-19 and to V 7.3.9 on Server2012

Do anyone knows if a reboot of the computer should be needed?
Can I install the new version directly without unistall the previous one? It´s needed to backup/restore any file to maintan the current configuration after the upgrade? 

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typically, installing Splunk does not require rebooting the server, even on Windows.

Also, typical, one can install Splunk over an existing installation.  It's a good idea to back up $SPLUNK_HOME\etc before the upgrade.

That said, yours is not a typical upgrade because it spans two major versions.  It's made more challenging by the lack of release notes for the several unsupported versions you're skipping.  I just contacting Splunk Support to see if they can send you links to the release notes for those versions so you know if there are any special steps required for that version.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...