Installation

Will be able to use enterprise trail license to deploy search head cluster and indexer cluster for PoC purposes?

rajeev_ku
Path Finder

Hi,

For PoC purposes, I need to deploy the search head cluster and indexer cluster Splunk instance.

Would I be able to deploy by using Enterprise trial license? We don't have much data to process, our requirement to PoC some Splunk features.

Thanks
Rajeev

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

i hope, with enterprise trial license you can configure SHC and index cluster.
Summary of key requirements for search head clusters
These are the main issues to note regarding provisioning of cluster members:

• Each member must run on its own machine or virtual machine, and all machines must run the same operating system.
    • All members must run on the same version of Splunk Enterprise.
  • All members must be connected over a high-speed network.
  • You must deploy at least as many members as either the replication factor or three, whichever is greater. In addition to the cluster members, you need a deployer to distribute updates to the members. The deployer must run on a non-member instance. In some cases, it can run on the same instance as a deployment server or an indexer cluster master node.

There is no special type of license specifically for search heads, that is to say, there is no "Search head license".
However, you must have an Enterprise license to configure a search head.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/DistSearch/SHCsystemrequirements

maybe, you should check "Sales trial license"
If you are working with Splunk Sales, you can request trial Enterprise licenses of varying size and duration. The Enterprise trial license expires 60 days after you start using Splunk. If you are preparing a pilot for a large deployment and have requirements for a longer duration or higher indexing volumes during your trial, contact Splunk Sales or your sales rep directly with your request.

View solution in original post

hardikJsheth
Motivator

You can use enterprise trial license for configuring SHC and indexer cluster. In a clustering architecture it's better to configure one node as license master and configure other nodes as license slave. This will allow you to perform license installation on single node.

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

i hope, with enterprise trial license you can configure SHC and index cluster.
Summary of key requirements for search head clusters
These are the main issues to note regarding provisioning of cluster members:

• Each member must run on its own machine or virtual machine, and all machines must run the same operating system.
    • All members must run on the same version of Splunk Enterprise.
  • All members must be connected over a high-speed network.
  • You must deploy at least as many members as either the replication factor or three, whichever is greater. In addition to the cluster members, you need a deployer to distribute updates to the members. The deployer must run on a non-member instance. In some cases, it can run on the same instance as a deployment server or an indexer cluster master node.

There is no special type of license specifically for search heads, that is to say, there is no "Search head license".
However, you must have an Enterprise license to configure a search head.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/DistSearch/SHCsystemrequirements

maybe, you should check "Sales trial license"
If you are working with Splunk Sales, you can request trial Enterprise licenses of varying size and duration. The Enterprise trial license expires 60 days after you start using Splunk. If you are preparing a pilot for a large deployment and have requirements for a longer duration or higher indexing volumes during your trial, contact Splunk Sales or your sales rep directly with your request.

rajeev_ku
Path Finder

Thanks for replying...
Are you sure that it will work with trail license?

0 Karma

rajeev_ku
Path Finder

I am using latest version (6.4.2) of Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...