Installation

Why is splunkd not running after downgrading from 8.3.3 to 8.1.6?

tokio13
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm encountering the following issue on one of my indexers (from a total of 3) after downgrading from 8.3.3 to 8.1.6. All my other components (3SH,CM,MC,Deployer, Indexer2 and 3 are working fine after downgrading.)

I tried pretty much everything to kill the process, restart splunk, restart the instance on the cloud, nothing seems to help.

splunkd is not running.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk is not supporting downgrade after update very well 😞 For that reason the instructions are do a backup and restore it as a downgrade, but then you of course lost some events.

What this instance has written to it's splunkd.log on filesystem? There should be reason why it didn't start.

As you have an indexer cluster and if/when your SF+RF >=2 then maybe the easiest way is just remove that instance from cluster and reinstall it with 8.1.6 and then rejoin it back? Of course it needs that your CM said that you still have all data searchable.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

tokio13
Path Finder

What worked was, removing it and installing 8.1.6 all over again as you recommended. 

Thanks!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great, if needed there are some discussion about rebalance events https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/New-indexer-sync-is-very-slow/m-p/538596

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @tokio13 

what  error message are  you seeing while starting the splunkd  and Splunkd.log of Indexer?.

any dubplicate bukctet confilit in Splunkd.log issues ? 

any lock file present under /var/run/splunk/

was there any permission issue for directrory ? 

if you clould share the error logs , that can help to troubleshoot furthur 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk is not supporting downgrade after update very well 😞 For that reason the instructions are do a backup and restore it as a downgrade, but then you of course lost some events.

What this instance has written to it's splunkd.log on filesystem? There should be reason why it didn't start.

As you have an indexer cluster and if/when your SF+RF >=2 then maybe the easiest way is just remove that instance from cluster and reinstall it with 8.1.6 and then rejoin it back? Of course it needs that your CM said that you still have all data searchable.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...