Installation

Why does the upgrade to 6.5.1 touch SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We went through an upgrade to 6.5.1 and the upgrade touched SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local on the indexers. Should it happen? We see indexes.conf with a new timestamp.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi dddillic,

We had that happened when doing a Splunk upgrade from 6.4.3 to 6.5.0 on SBOX 1.4 - which was confirmed as a SBOX bug....

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sjohnson_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I looked at the manifest file for the 6.5.1 update (in $SPLUNK_HOME) and it appears that it updates the README file in etc/system/local

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi dddillic,

We had that happened when doing a Splunk upgrade from 6.4.3 to 6.5.0 on SBOX 1.4 - which was confirmed as a SBOX bug....

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Interesting - thank you. Can you please convert it to an answer so I can accept it?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

update ping ...

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

very kind - thank you.

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

@ddrillic
I see above that you are mentioning the indexes.conf file.
Are you using SBOX like @MuS and think this is a bug?

@sjohnson did not mention a change to indexes.conf in the inspection of the manifest below?

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We don't use SBOX.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

From which version you upgraded to 6.5.1?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We upgraded from 6.4.1.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

There were changes in indexes.conf specification from 6.4.3 to 6.5.1 and Splunk would've validated/updated the indexes.conf file during upgrade process. Check the migration log ($Splunk_Home/var/log/splunk/migration_timestmap.log) and search for indexes.conf.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

great. I see in the log the following -

Copying '/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf' to '/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf.old' but nothing about modifying the file....

-rw-r--r--. 1 splnkstg dce       314 Jan  4 19:23 indexes.conf.old
-rw-r--r--. 1 splnkstg splnkstg  313 Jan  4 19:23 indexes.conf

One byte less in the modified file.

$ diff indexes.conf.old indexes.conf
2d1
< 
4d2
< maxTotalDataSizeMB = 500000
5a4
> maxTotalDataSizeMB = 500000
8d6
9a8
12d10
13a12
16d14
17a16
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I believe there was nothing changed on data perspective, may be some leading/trailing spaces got truncated. So basically you didn't have any incompatible indexes.conf entries so nothing new got updated, seems like it just created a backup and validated the stanzas as per 6.5.1 specification.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Makes perfect sense!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...