Installation

Why does the Windows Event Log differs depending on the volume displayed in extx format and the Splunk index volume?

oda
Communicator

Hi,
I understand that importing the evtx format into Splunk consumes more licenses than the volume displayed.
(Because evtx is a compressed format.)

Am I right in thinking that I will consume about 2 to 5 times more licenses?

I think I saw the material about this somewhere, can anyone share it?

I would be grateful if you could help me.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oda,

Windows event logs are probably the most verbose log i encountered (with JVM) and the approach to see the dimension of compressed extx files isn't a good approach.

I hint to see the average of events in a day (e.g. around 15,000) and calculate using a mediam dimesnion of 2 KB for each event.

To be more detailed, you could see the data volume indexed for some days in Splunk and extrapolate the license consuption.

Obviously you can have the dimension for each host and each sourcetype from the Splunk Monitoring console or the License Consuption report.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oda,

Windows event logs are probably the most verbose log i encountered (with JVM) and the approach to see the dimension of compressed extx files isn't a good approach.

I hint to see the average of events in a day (e.g. around 15,000) and calculate using a mediam dimesnion of 2 KB for each event.

To be more detailed, you could see the data volume indexed for some days in Splunk and extrapolate the license consuption.

Obviously you can have the dimension for each host and each sourcetype from the Splunk Monitoring console or the License Consuption report.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oda,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

oda
Communicator

I understood it again that It is difficult to calculate the log correct amount of windows event log.
It is difficult to data import in advance because it is before purchasing additional licenses.
Isn't there any reference material or .conf's PDF?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @oda,

I know that there's an Excel Sheet available for Splunk PS but I haven't,

I Usually use 2kB for each event and I calculate around 10,000 events for Windows servers and 150,000 events for Domain Controllers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...