Installation

Why are we getting this error after wiredTiger upgrade?

Snorre
Explorer

I'm trying to upgrade from splunk 8.1 to 9.0 on a single server Windows installation. Upgrading the kvstore from mmapv1 to wiredtiger caused me some headache, but it eventually seems to work. The problem now is that I'm stuck on wiredTiger 4.0, and can't find a way to get it upgraded to 4.2. splunkd.log contains this error message:

08-03-2022 07:58:43.566 +0200 ERROR KVStoreBulletinBoardManager [7688 MainThread] - Failed to upgrade KV Store to the latest version. KV Store is running an old version, service(40). Resolve upgrade errors and try to upgrade KV Store to the latest version again.

But I can't find anything else useful in the logs.

splunk show kvstore-status --verbose

Snorre_0-1659508532238.png

Any hints as to how to find out whats wrong? Or how to force the upgrade? I tried to delete the mongod-4.0.exe but that caused the kvstore to fail at startup.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Mlac
Engager

Same issue  here.
Upgraded from 8.1.3 to 9.0.1

08-30-2022 16:25:49.014 +0200 ERROR KVStoreBulletinBoardManager [166467 MainThread] - Failed to migrate KV Store storage engine to WiredTiger. This prevented running the latest version of KV Store. Migrate KV Store storage engine to WiredTiger and then upgrade KV Store. The Mmapv1 engine is deprecated.

Managed to set  engine to wiredTiger and status reports a OK, but  message in webGui state 

Failed to upgrade KV Store to the latest version. KV Store is running an old version, service(40). Resolve upgrade errors and try to upgrade KV Store to the latest version again.

when I gave command:

splunk show kvstore-status --verbose

I got  listed following  Info:
serverVersion : 4.0.24

after executing migration withouth type of storage engine:
splunk migrate migrate-kvstore

I got upgraded version
serverVersion : 4.2.17

Now Web GUI lost  error and all works  fine !

I  used  solution from the  following  post:
https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/How-to-upgrade-Mongo-in-Splunk-9-0-0/m-p/603185#M11666

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...